Tuesday, July 9, 2013

"You should write a book." 

I write a lot of things.  I write articles.  I write sermons.  I write curriculums.  I write dramas and skits.  I write Christmas Programs.  I write colorful letters, e-mails, and Facebook posts.  And while I've been flattered to hear numerous people say, "Jennifer, you should write a book," I'm not at all confident that I have the discipline to write a whole book.  Maybe half a book.  Or a chapter.  Or maybe a blog.

My first confession to you, is that the idea of writing a blog makes me break out in emotional hives.  If you've never experienced emotional hives, just know that they're almost as uncomfortable as regular hives, just harder to scratch.  The hives are brought on by my Lutheran humility, which says, "Don't be so arrogant as to think you've got stuff to say that people actually care to read about."  But when I told a friend of mine that I felt arrogant expecting people would want to hear my random musings in a blog, she said, "Get over it. You expect people to listen to your musings on Sundays, right?"  I suppose that's true.  And on the up-side, if people fall asleep reading my blog, they can snore as loudly as they want without being elbowed by someone in the pew next to them.

I'm on a Sabbatical right now.  My husband Erik and I serve together at Our Savior's Lutheran Church in Beloit, Wisconsin, a fabulous congregation.  We've served there over 9 years and are taking 6 weeks away to recharge our batteries.  We'll be doing some traveling in the coming weeks, so I expect this will be a travel log for a while.  Our two daughters always give me to get a new perspective on life, so they often appear in my writing.  When I write, I like to look at things in a different way.  I like to make people think.  I like to make people smile and chuckle.  I don't expect that this blog will be heavy theological stuff, and it certainly won't be me spouting my views on controversial issues.  I'm a practical person, I appreciate opportunities to be creative, and I delight in the "ordinary" joys of life.  So I hope this blog offers you something that helps you see things in a new way, that delights your sense of humor, and that reveals the extraordinary grace, wonders and joys that God showers upon us every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment